- 1.5lbs boneless lean beef, cubed (Ok I totally used pork loin cuz I had 12lbs in the freezer and didn't wanna buy beef)
- 3 tablespoons veggie oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 (10.5oz) cans beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (James HATES parsley, so I left that out. The only thing I can use it in guacamole b/c it's all ran through the food processor, so he can't tell it's really there)
- 1 cup barley (fyi - this is in the rice and bean section at the store and there is "quick cook" and regular. The recipe doesn't specify, but since it's in the crock pot for 6-8 hours, I used regular lol)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
1. In skillet over medium heat, saute the beef (or pork lol!) in the oil until browned. Stir in the salt, garlic powder, and pepper and place seasoned meat in the slow cooker. Add a little water to the skillet and stir to pick up the browned bits. Add to slow cooker (ok, I had no "bits" to pick up, but maybe that's just me lol)
2. Add broth, water, celery, carrots, green onions, parsley, and barley. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until veggies and barley are tender (took about 5 hours here). Add Thyme just before serving.
Your house will smell amazing! Perfect for chilly fall nights :)
No comments:
Post a Comment