Doggy foster parents that is!!
Last night I was checking craigslist for puppies. We've been looking casually for a while and just haven't found the right fit. But I check the local shelters, rescues, and craigslist a couple times a week in case something comes up.
So last night....
There was a post from a rescue organization. There's a dog at the collier county shelter that is scheduled to be out down this week. He's a year old beagle mix and very cute. But he has heartworm. And it's hard to find people willing to adopt a "special needs" dog. So euthanasia it was for the sweet little guy. But then - a rescue stepped in (eyesofanangelpetrescue.com) and offered to take him, treat his heartworm, and find him a forever home. The only thing was - they needed a foster home for him while he got his treatment and they found him a place to live.
I've thought about fostering dogs a couple of different times, but never really pursued it. But this little guy really stood out to me and I couldn't let him die. I mean - maybe someone else would have stepped up if we hadn't, but maybe not too. And I am such a softie when it comes to animals. I just could not leave the poor guy to die when there were options available - he just needed a home for a while.
So I asked James if he could stay with us until he found a permanent home and he said yes. He's a bit of a softie too lol. We emailed the rescue right away to let them know we wanted to help foster the dog and the replied first thing this morning. I sent them an application, let them know about our cats and Corbin and work schedule and whatnot, and we were approved to foster a couple hours later. A wonderful rescue volunteer called just a few minutes ago to go over all the details with us. Puppy will be neutered Tuesday or Wednesday and be here shortly after that. He will stay with us until it's time to go to Miami for treatment for his heartworm. Then someone will pick him up and take him there for a couple of nights. He'll come back to us after that. In 6 weeks, he'll go back again for a retest for heartworms and we go from there.
Now we just need a name for him....
2 comments:
Hmm.... name him Hamburger or Scooter!
wow how exciting! Cant wait to see pixs of him!
-h
Post a Comment